[vtkusers] vtk Build for Visual Studio

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 17:04:19 EDT 2010

> If you build the entire solution or the ALL_BUILD project, everything should
> get built. You should get dlls if you turned BUILD_SHARED_LIBS ON in the
> cmake gui.
> Once you have successfully built everything, building the INSTALL project
> should give you a directory under C:\Program Files\VTK\ which contain bin
> (dlls) lib (.lib) and include (.h) directories.

The only problem with that (using the INSTALL project) is you will get
only release or only debug .dlls depending on what configuration you
selected in Visual Studio. And this can cause problems because in
Visual Studio mixing debug and release libraries will lead to crashes
at unexpected times. I believe the main reason is the debug and
release memory allocation routines in Visual Studio are not compatible
with each other.

John