[vtkusers] translation problem

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Sep 22 08:48:53 EDT 2010

Hey Ali,

I think one of the reasons you're not getting as much help as you'd like is that your problem seems to really lie outside of VTK, and maybe there isn't anyone very active on the list who has much experience with this sort of problem. If you need help setting up the finite element methods you may just have to try to find someone who does that sort of work.

The only examples I've seen in VTK that seems close to what you want (i.e. animate according to the solution of a physics model) are the graph layout algorithms in the Infovis section. They allow updates to the rendering while the graph layout is not complete yet, but they're not meant for smooth animation. In [vtk_src]/Examples/Infovis/Cxx there also the GraphItem example, which is a smoothly animating graph layout according to a spring model. If you build VTK with examples turned ON, then you'll get a program called GraphItem, which you can run.

So, maybe you'll get lucky and someone will know how and be willing to help with your finite element problem, but it may just be too far outside the scope of this mailing list.

Good luck,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group