[vtkusers] python exceptions patch needed for vtk 5.6

Charl Botha c.p.botha at tudelft.nl
Fri May 28 18:43:37 EDT 2010

Dear Florian and David,

On 28 May 2010 21:07, Florian Bruckner <e0425375 at gmail.com> wrote:

> is there a reason why the patch was not merged into the official vtk release?
>
> i'm just wondering because that patch is fairly old and for me this seems to be a very good solution for a general problem.

The patch has a permanent home here:
http://code.google.com/p/devide/source/browse/trunk/johannes/patches/pyvtk_tryexcept_and_pyexceptions.diff

Of course I think it's a good patch. :) It does the following:
1. Turns all VTK errors into Python exceptions.
2. Carefully releases the GIL during all calls into VTK (grabbing it
back for observers) so that you can successfully explicitly
multi-thread VTK pipelines from Python.
3. Tries to trap bad_alloc.

I've been working on this for years, but due to Windows unreachable
code warnings that I have not been able to solve, I've never committed
this to VTK (it works, just gives many warnings during compilation).
My own binaries all have this patch integrated (DeVIDE [1] and VTK
[2]).

The current version is for 5.4.2, I'd like to update for 5.6 as soon
as I can figure out how to check out a clean 5.6 with git (until very
recently there was no tag yet, I see that it's there now!
http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=summary )

I'm also considering to make a wiki page on devide.googlecode.com that
documents the patch.

See you,
Charl

[1] http://graphics.tudelft.nl/Projects/DeVIDE