[vtkusers] problem with installing VTK

Tingting HAN hihighsky at gmail.com
Thu May 6 10:47:10 EDT 2010

The linux distribution I use is Ubuntu 9.10. I tried sudo apt-get install
python-vtk.
shau at tityro:/home/hantingting/Downloads/triMC3D/python$ sudo apt-get install
python-vtk
[sudo] password for shau:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-vtk is already the newest version.
python-vtk set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
But when I run stl_decimate.py file, it is still the same situation:
 hantingting at tityro:~/Downloads/triMC3D/python$ python2.5 stl_decimate.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "stl_decimate.py", line 9, in <module>
    import vtk
ImportError: No module named vtk.

So I have installed VTK, but it still can't be found.
There are several people working on the same Linux computer in our lab. I am
the user "hantingting", and I am not sudoer, as shown below:

hantingting at tityro:~/Downloads/triMC3D/python$ sudo apt-get install vtk
[sudo] password for hantingting:
hantingting is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
So the user "shau" uses sudo to install VTK. Is the problem related to this?

I have also tried to do as VTK documentation on this website:
file:///home/hantingting/Downloads/VTK/README.html#Compilation

$ ls -d VTK
VTK/
$ mkdir VTK-build
$ cd VTK-build
$ ccmake ../VTK
$ make

But I have difficulty to install and run CMake. Do I have to install CMake
build VTK exactly as the documentation? I think sudo apt-get install is an
easier way, but could it work as well?

2010/5/6 Denis Barbier <bouzim at gmail.com>

>  On 2010/5/6 Tingting HAN wrote:
> > Dear Officer,
> >
> > I work on linux and have python originally installed in the system:
> > shau at tityro:/home/hantingting/Downloads$ python
> > Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec  7 2009, 18:43:55)
> > [GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
> > I want to install package VTK, but there is the following problem:
> > shau at tityro:/home/hantingting/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install vtk[sudo]
> > password for shau:
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Package vtk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> > This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> > is only available from another source
> > However the following packages replace it:
> >   vtk-tcl
> > E: Package vtk has no installation candidate
> > shau at tityro:/home/hantingting/Downloads$
> > And when I tried to run a file stl_decimate.py, the following error shows
> > that VTK package is still not installed
> > hantingting at tityro:~/Downloads/triMC3D/python$ python2.5 stl_decimate.py
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "stl_decimate.py", line 9, in <module>
> >     import vtk
> > ImportError: No module named vtk
>
>  You seem to be using a Debian-based distro, thus
>  sudo apt-get install python-vtk
> may be what you are looking for.  If not, please tell which Linux
> distribution you are using.
>
> Denis

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Best regards,
HAN Tingting

ETSI de Telecomunicación - office C-203-1
Dpto. Ingeniería Electrónica
Ciudad Universitaria s/n
Madrid 28040,  Spain
TEL: +34 65 232 4340
Department of Photoelectric Information Engineering
Zhejiang University
Hangzhou 310027, P. R.China