[vtkusers] Medical Imaging Software on Windows with VTK and ITK

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 18:08:00 EDT 2010

>    I need  to create a medical image visualization (and some
>    processing) with functionalities like image overlay, contrast
>    adjustment, etc.,  on Windows platform with GUI. Any suggestions for
>    development software and GUI tools to use wit VTK and ITK?  I am not
>    too familiar with Microsoft Visual Studio but willing to learn. I
>    did most of programming on UNIX environment. Which version of Visual
>    Studio works fine with both VTK and ITK ( Visual Studio 2008, 2010,
>    .NET, etc.)? For GUI development, which tool (Qt, MFC, etc.) is the
>    most convenient?
>
>  I noticed that some of the applications like 3DSlicer and volView were
>  implemented using Tcl/Tk and VTK. Is this an easier route considering
>  I don’t have any experience in both Tcl/Tk and Microsoft Visual
>  Studio?

I use Qt, VTK, ITK, GDCM under windows and Visual Studio 2005 and 2008
with project files generated using CMake. Before using VTK/ITK, I
programmed for 10+  years with MFC and using directx for displaying
medical images. I find there is a learning curve with Qt but in the
end it is much better than MFC.

John

John