[vtkusers] Compiling VTK on OS X

Hsin-Hao Yu secondauthor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 17:41:45 EDT 2010

I tried to compile vtk-5.4.2 on OS X Snow Leopard. It compiled fine if
Python binding is turned off. But if I ask cmake to make the python
libraries, something always goes wrong. The problem is at the final stage:

Build files have been written to:
/Users/hhyu/learning/VTK/VTKBuild/Examples/All

======== End CMake output ======

Change Dir: /Users/hhyu/learning/VTK/VTKBuild/Examples/All

Run Build Command:/usr/bin/make

Linking CXX executable
/Users/hhyu/learning/VTK/VTKBuild/bin/HierarchicalBoxPipeline

ld: warning: in /Users/hhyu/learning/VTK/VTKBuild/bin/libvtkRendering.dylib,
file was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)

ld: warning: in /Users/hhyu/learning/VTK/VTKBuild/bin/libvtkIO.dylib, file
was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)

.....etc.

and it led to lots of undefined symbols.

This no doubt is related to the 36bit/64bit business. I tried to set
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES to i386 and x86_64. Made no difference. Same
problem.

Help, please?