[vtkusers] CPU/GPU Spec

Scott Johnson Scott.Johnson at neuwave.com
Thu Aug 19 14:36:31 EDT 2010

Hi Folks,

We're looking at using VTK and ITK for a medical imaging application
which will need to accept DICOM images, register, filter with a
convolution kernel, some segmentation, thresholding, resample at
arbitrary orientations, and volume render.  I'm looking at specifying
CPU and GPU characteristics to support this application.  The OS will
probably be some variant of Windows.

>From my reading, how well a given CPU/GPU combination will support VTK
depends on its implementation of OpenGL.  True?  I've also seen some
discussions which talk about using CUDA for volume rendering and/or
image processing.  Do they help significantly?

I'm looking for a little guidance as to:

*         How much texture memory to spec on the GPU?  Is it as simple
as big enough to fully host the image series, if possible?

*         Specific GPUs, or something like the Intel I5 or I7 with the
GPU on board?

*         Other stuff I haven't thought of?

One last question:  Has anyone displayed a VTK rendering in WPF?  Where
can I find info?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

                                -- Scott