[vtkusers] GUI integration

Jim Peterson jimcp at cox.net
Mon Aug 2 07:46:10 EDT 2010

Nicholas,
I just finished getting the Java DLL's created and tested running on
Windows XP using the Visual Studio 2008 Express cmake builder option.

I was not able to get a working Java interface using the MingW32 build
nor the MSYS build generator options in CMAKE, it appears there is a
name mangling issue between the Java interface DLL and the vtk
implementation shared library when they are created by the GNU tools.
The Visual Studio build works fine though.

So assuming you have a somewhat mainstream Windows platform to build the
necessary vtk shared libraries and Java wrappers upon, I would say the
Java front end is a very workable solution. The supplied Java examples
are not as complete as Python and TCL, but both of those languages are
easy to interpret to the corresponding Java functions. I have
implemented a point picker interface to associated 3D object attributes
to the associated source data in my Java examples thus far.

look at the vtkObject.AddObserver function for how to interact between
the VTK objects and your Java program.

Hope that helps,
Jim