[vtkusers] GUI integration

nclemeur nclemeur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 07:05:14 EDT 2010

Jim Peterson wrote:

> I just finished getting the Java DLL's created and tested running on
> Windows XP using the Visual Studio 2008 Express cmake builder option.
> So assuming you have a somewhat mainstream Windows platform to build the
> necessary vtk shared libraries and Java wrappers upon, I would say the
> Java front end is a very workable solution.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for the encouragments, I have already played a bit with the java
wrapper, and I had some examples running (Using VC++ 2008 Express). The
wrapper Api looks quite easy to relate with the equivalent C++ so that is
really good. I got a bit scared when I saw a few threads about memory
issues. But this seems to be solved in the latest version. I also observed a
bit a flickering when resizing the frame, but I haven't look at that... All
that made me a bit wondering if Java was something I could contemplate to
use. It seems that it is a good solution (see post by Elvis in the same
thread).

Thanks a again,

Nicolas