[vtkusers] vtkMarchingCubes to point cloud

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:27:05 EDT 2009

I want to prevent convex hull so delaunay doesnt fit my needs.

> I tried the following pipeline:
>
> polyData -> vtkGaussianFilter OR vtkShepardMethod OR (vtk 5.0.1 doesnt
> contain vtkFastSplatter) -> vtkContourFilter OR vtkMarchingSquares OR
> vtkMarchingCubes
>
> The problem may result from having less number of points? For instance, i
> have 8 points which are corners of a polyhedron. Kevin, thanks for your
> interest and help.
>
> murat

The best I have come up with is here:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Create_a_surface_from_Unorganized_Points
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Create_a_surface_from_Unorganized_Points_%28Gaussian_Splat%29

This is a very commonly asked question on the list. Can anyone comment if
the above two methods are the best VTK has to offer as far as creating a
surface from a point cloud? I think the graphics community would claim that
this is a "solved" problem - but the results still seem rather bad!

Murat - the MarchingCubes algorithm requires more than just the points -
take a look at:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Create_models_from_labeled_volume_data_%28Discrete_MarchingCubes%29

Thanks,

David