[vtkusers] vtkMarchingCubes to point cloud

Murat Aydin murat.aydin at netcad.com.tr
Thu Sep 17 11:30:29 EDT 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Doria
  Cc: vtkusers at vtk.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [vtkusers] vtkMarchingCubes to point cloud

  I want to prevent convex hull so delaunay doesnt fit my needs.

    I tried the following pipeline:

    polyData -> vtkGaussianFilter OR vtkShepardMethod OR (vtk 5.0.1 doesnt contain vtkFastSplatter) -> vtkContourFilter OR vtkMarchingSquares OR vtkMarchingCubes

    The problem may result from having less number of points? For instance, i have 8 points which are corners of a polyhedron. Kevin, thanks for your interest and help.

    murat

  The best I have come up with is here:

  http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Create_a_surface_from_Unorganized_Points
  http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Create_a_surface_from_Unorganized_Points_%28Gaussian_Splat%29

  This is a very commonly asked question on the list. Can anyone comment if the above two methods are the best VTK has to offer as far as creating a surface from a point cloud? I think the graphics community would claim that this is a "solved" problem - but the results still seem rather bad!

  Murat - the MarchingCubes algorithm requires more than just the points - take a look at:
  http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Create_models_from_labeled_volume_data_%28Discrete_MarchingCubes%29

  Thanks,

  David