[vtkusers] vtkMarchingCubes to point cloud

Murat Aydın murat.aydin at netcad.com.tr
Thu Sep 17 10:32:11 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 16:22 +0300, Murat Aydın wrote:
>> Hi,
>> How can i use vtkMarchingCubes for creating surfaces from a point
>> cloud. vtksurfacereconstructionFilter doesnt work reasonable because
>> points are not close enough.
>> I couldnt apply vtkMarchingCubes to polyData or unstructuredGrid.
>> Thanks.
>>>
> murat

>You can use the delaunay filters to create a convex hull around the points.

>You can use fast splatter, gaussian splatter, or shepard method to
>create an image around the points and then get a surface from that
>image.

I want to prevent convex hull so delaunay doesnt fit my needs.

I tried the following pipeline:

polyData -> vtkGaussianFilter OR vtkShepardMethod OR (vtk 5.0.1 doesnt
contain vtkFastSplatter) -> vtkContourFilter OR vtkMarchingSquares OR
vtkMarchingCubes

The problem may result from having less number of points? For instance, i
have 8 points which are corners of a polyhedron. Kevin, thanks for your
interest and help.

murat