[vtkusers] Store multiple versions of an array in a vtp file

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Tue May 5 11:38:54 EDT 2009

Hey David,

I think the easiest way would be to either write a separate vtp file
for each iteration (and then write a pvd file to treat them as a time
series for animating in ParaView), or else change your data file format.

I've never used it, but evidently the Ensight Gold format allows
separate files for the mesh and the data associated with it. For my
work I use XDMF (http://xdmf.org), which would allow you to write one
copy of the geometry and the scalars for each iteration to a single
HDF5 file, and then the XMF file that goes with it would describe a
time series which points to the one copy of the geometry on each
"time" step along with the new cluster array scalars.

Otherwise, as a long-shot, there was some talk on the ParaView mailing
list last year saying that vtu files could actually hold multiple time
steps, and that someone had patches which would allow pvd files to be
read in using "shared" geometry, but I'm not sure what the status of
that is...

http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2008-February/094463.html

Good luck,
-Eric