[vtkusers] Store multiple versions of an array in a vtp file

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Tue May 5 12:16:30 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Eric E. Monson <emonson at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> I think the easiest way would be to either write a separate vtp file for
> each iteration (and then write a pvd file to treat them as a time series for
> animating in ParaView), or else change your data file format.
>
> I've never used it, but evidently the Ensight Gold format allows separate
> files for the mesh and the data associated with it. For my work I use XDMF (
> http://xdmf.org), which would allow you to write one copy of the geometry
> and the scalars for each iteration to a single HDF5 file, and then the XMF
> file that goes with it would describe a time series which points to the one
> copy of the geometry on each "time" step along with the new cluster array
> scalars.
>
> Otherwise, as a long-shot, there was some talk on the ParaView mailing list
> last year saying that vtu files could actually hold multiple time steps, and
> that someone had patches which would allow pvd files to be read in using
> "shared" geometry, but I'm not sure what the status of that is...
>
> http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2008-February/094463.html
>
> Good luck,
> -Eric

> Eric E Monson
> Duke Visualization Technology Group

Eric -
I already have 10,000 (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit :) ) file
formats to convert from/to, so it'd be nice to keep everything in vt*. Does
anyone know what happened to the patches Eric is talking about (either
multiple timesteps in a vtu or "shared" geometry?) That thread seemed to die
with no resolution.

Thanks,

David