[vtkusers] Ghost level request

Simon Latapie simon.latapie at oxalya.com
Tue Jul 7 04:37:21 EDT 2009

Hello vtkusers,

I am working on a parallel reader, and I am trying to understand the way
ghost levels are propagated and required by filters in the VTK pipeline.

I am using the VTK source tree of a Paraview 3.4.0 release.

What I understand is ghost level is given by the end of the pipeline,
and every filter has to inject this information into his input, to
propagate the information.

I used a pipeline with three paraview servers, one client, a distributed
unstructured grid as the data, and the D3 (DistributedDataFilter) filter
in which I check the requested ghost level (I retrieve the ghost level
value with the method:
outputInfo->Get(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_GHOST_LEVELS())
).

Unfortunately the only filter I found that requires a ghost level > 0 is
the CellDataToPointData one.

Are there other filters that request a ghost level > 0 ? Don't the
parallel stream tracer filter, or the Contour one, require a non zero
ghost level to correctly interpolate between distributed data ?

Regards,

--
Simon Latapie