[vtkusers] how to 3D surface stitching?

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:05:57 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Dongqing Chen
<dqchen at cvip.louisville.edu> wrote:
> Hello, David:
>
>  Thank you for your always help and suggestion.
>
>  My data is plain text. In that height-map file, originally it only saves a
> recovered height for a pixel on 2D image. Now, I slightly changed its
> format, by adding the general index of the pixel (like, 1, 2,3...) and its
> height, to x, y, z.
>
>  I compared the converted xml file with the one, which you provided before,
> (using real LiDAR scans ). It seems that I converted successfully. But when
> I did the 3D stitching, the program could not take the converted data format
> (Point1.xml).
>
>  Attached, please see the two xml files, Point1.xml and SphereScan1.xml.
> Would you please advise?
>
>  THank you.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Dongqing Chen, Ph.D.
> Computer Vision & Image Processing (CVIP) Lab
> Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
> Speed School of Engineering
> University of Louisville
> Louisville, KY, 40292
> U.S.A
> email: dqchen at cvip.louisville.edu
> phone: 1-502-852-2789 (Lab)
>            1-502-852-6130 (Office)
>
>> What format is your data in? Plain text? What does it look like? If it
>> is simply "x y z" then you can use:
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Read_a_simple_%22xyz%22_file_of_points
>>
>> If you want to do the reading very manually you can use:
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Read_a_plain_text_file_into_a_polydata
>>
>> If the file is highly structured (delimited) you can use:
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Read_a_delimited_file_into_a_polydata
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David

You are trying to use VRIP? It certainly won't read xml files - I
believe it takes ply files if I remember correctly. I never actually
got it to work myself, but I didn't try too hard - I thought you may
have better luck / more motivation to get it to work.

Thanks,

David