[vtkusers] Advice for Noob please - Can this be done? Cannot buy book as it is out of stock

mavsol lslade at maverick-solutions.com
Thu Dec 3 14:43:53 EST 2009

I need to test VTK for a project. I am very much out of practice in
mathematical programming.

Project: I need to bring in some surface data probably as a cloud of points
and find it's best rigid translation to 80 other surfaces in sequence. After
I have done the rigid translation to the 80 surfaces I need to measure which
translations resulted in a maximum gap of less than 0.5" between the source
and the target -taking into account only the overlapping parts because some
surfaces will not have the exact same extent - and report those as
successes. Intersections between the surfaces after translation are OK so
long as the maximum gap is within the tolerance.

1. Generate a file format for the surface meshes from my data source which
is a CAD software. I can do the CAD programming but need recommendations on
which file format to use.
2. Input file to VTK.
3. Run which transform? ICP? vtkLandmark transform? The points will be
ordered and there is a good chance the best fit will result from matching
numbered pairs of points but in some cases the surface may need to rotate to
fit better.
4. Measure max surface distance - Need recommendations or can reimport to
CAD if necessary and do it there.
5. Output report - easy.

Alternatively if someone can do this and output a windows executable it
could be a paid job. Quotes are welcome for steps 2-4.

Sorry if this is a double post. I had a problem with mailing list
subscription.