[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] Can we drop Visual Studio 6 support?

Wylie, Brian bnwylie at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 20 16:19:45 EDT 2009

Well put... +1

  Brian Wylie - Org 1424
  Sandia National Laboratories
  MS 1323 - Building CSRI/242
  (505)844-2238 FAX(505)284-2518
       _______ __
      /_  __(_) /_____ _____
       / / / / __/ __ `/ __ \
      / / / / /_/ /_/ / / / /
     /_/ /_/\__/\__,_/_/ /_/
            Informatics Toolkit

-----Original Message-----
From: vtk-developers-bounces at vtk.org [mailto:vtk-developers-bounces at vtk.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Maclean
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:38 PM
To: Thompson, David C
Cc: VTK Developers; VTK Users; Berk Geveci
Subject: Re: [vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Can we drop Visual Studio 6 support?

Seriously, you cannot afford to keep supporting such an old, non-compliant and non-supported compiler. make VTK 5.4 the last branch to support it. Also please look at other compilers with a small user base and decide if these are also no longer supported.

Kitware is really generous regarding the number of compilers that they actually support and test. This is one fact that we must not forget.
So if they need to drop VC6 support it is Ok by me.
I want to see VTK/ParaView/ITK/CMake evolve and get better and better.
Compilers evolve, this is why we are up to VS2008, gcc 3.4 etc instead of remaining on VC6 and gcc 2.95.
So must Kitware.

My 2c worth.

Andrew