[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] Can we drop Visual Studio 6 support?

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 22:37:39 EDT 2009

David Cole's suggestion is the best one
 "My vote would be to say "VTK 5.4 supports back to Visual Studio 6."
-- but for CVS VTK and moving forward, please, please, please, use at
least Visual Studio 8 or 9. Let's drop 6, 7 and 7.1 support and
prepare for Visual Studio 10..."

In some of these posts I see that you are actually disabling some
tests - this is a sure sign the the compiler is past its use by date.

Seriously, you cannot afford to keep supporting such an old,
non-compliant and non-supported compiler. make VTK 5.4 the last branch
to support it. Also please look at other compilers with a small user
base and decide if these are also no longer supported.

Kitware is really generous regarding the number of compilers that they
actually support and test. This is one fact that we must not forget.
So if they need to drop VC6 support it is Ok by me.
I want to see VTK/ParaView/ITK/CMake evolve and get better and better.
Compilers evolve, this is why we are up to VS2008, gcc 3.4 etc instead
of remaining on VC6 and gcc 2.95.
So must Kitware.

My 2c worth.

Andrew