[vtkusers] vtkTemporalData

Erik Anderson eranders at sci.utah.edu
Mon Apr 20 15:22:46 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to get some visualizations of pathlines/streaklines/etc
out of VTK.  I have some time-varying data that I have created a
vtkTemporalDataSet out of.  To do this, I use something like the
following (in Python):

ds = vtk.vtkTemporalDataSet()
ds.SetNumberOfTimeSteps(5)
for i in range(num_time_steps):
    ds.SetTimeStep(i, data[i])   #  data is a list of vtkStructuredPoints

After the vtkTemporalDataSet is constructed, I would like to use the
vtkTemporalDataSetAlgorithms using the new data as input.  For instance,
I would like to use the vtkTemporalStreamTracer in conjuction with
vtkTemporalPathLineFilter to take advantage of the time-varying vector
field.  If I print out the vtkTemporalDataSet I generate, I get exactly
the dataset I would expect - 5 children with the appropriate fields
attached.  However, when I use a vtkTemporalStreamTracer, with the data
as an input and a plane used to seed the lines in the source connection,
I get the following error:

vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x6bb3890): Algorithm
vtkTemporalStreamTracer(0x7066260) returned failure for request:
vtkInformation (0x723ab10)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 1281919
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_UPDATE_EXTENT
  ALGORITHM_BEFORE_FORWARD: 1
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
  FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0

ERROR: In /home/eranders/env/VTK/Parallel/vtkTemporalStreamTracer.cxx,
line 803
vtkTemporalStreamTracer (0x7066260): No time step info

Am I forming the dataset incorrectly?  I'm relatively confident that my
pipeline is correct:

s = vtk.vtkTemporalStreamTracer()
s.SetInput(ds)
s.SetSourceConnection(seeds)