[vtkusers] Extract only bones or other tissues from a Ct

Michael Knopke Michael.Knopke at gmx.de
Wed Sep 10 08:22:28 EDT 2008

Hi,

The screenshot just shows a normal volume rendering of ct data using a very
well defined transfer function.
Also I guess the dataset used for it is quite good (lots of images as source
and a young patient) so separation of tissues can easily be done using
transfer functions.

Osirix uses the vtkFixedPointVolumeMapper and the vtkRayCastVolumeMapper for
this kind of rendering. (Softwarerenderer with high quality)

I recommend to look at the examples provided with VTK.

If you want your users to interactively change what tissues they see you
need some kind of widget that gives the possibility to change the
TransferFunction.

Unfortunately there is no such widget in VTK, but in a separate toolkit, so
you might consider this:

http://www.kwwidgets.org/Wiki/Image:KWWidgetsTourExample.png

If you just want VRT than leave out ITK as it adds a lot of complexity to
your program. (different programming paradigm)

Regards,

Michael