[vtkusers] Extract only bones or other tissues from a Ct

Michael Knopke Michael.Knopke at gmx.de
Wed Sep 10 05:35:17 EDT 2008

Hi,

As far as I know there are no filters in VTK that can do this. Extracting
Objects based on a scalar range is simple, but not if like in your case more
objects use the same values. For this you need an algorithm that
"understands" to which objects voxels with the same value belong.

There are a lot of different approaches for this task. As I wrote, the ITK
is made for this purpose, you could export your volume to it, perform
segmentation to extract tissue or bone and reimport it into VTK. (basically
this is just a conversion of your SourceData).

What GUI Toolkit and Environment do you use? I can send you a cmake projects
that combines VTK/ITK using QT4 and VS.

What Software did you find that uses VTK only for this?

Regards,

Michael