[vtkusers] Depth Peeling VTK5.2 ATI Cars

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Fri Oct 3 10:48:18 EDT 2008

Iñigo,

No I don't have solution for VTK depth peeling on ATI cards.

Goodwin,

VTK depth peeling working on an old ATI laptop is break news for me!

You are the first saying that VTK depth peeling is working with an ATI card.
Can you send me your OpenGL profile please (any of the following
methods allows you to save the result into a text file):
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#How_do_I_check_which_OpenGL_versions_or_extensions_are_supported_by_my_graphic_card_or_OpenGL_implementation.3F

What's the result of

$ ctest -R TestTranslucentLUTDepthPeeling -V

Does it fail or pass?
Does it say: "depth peeling was used" or does it say "depth peeling
was not used (alpha blending instead)"?

The best is actually to submit this test on the vtk dahsboard as an
experimental build:

$ ctest -D ExperimentalTest -R
"LoadOpenGLExtension|TestTranslucentLUTDepthPeeling"

... it will run LoadOpenGLExtension test (this test will display the
OpenGL version and the list of OpenGL extensions,
 it will run TestTranslucentLUTDepthPeeling as well.

Regards.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Goodwin Lawlor <goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie> wrote:
> Iñigo Barandiaran wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm working on a medical application,and i'm using VTK as a Visualization
>> API.We want to render some translucent objects and we are trying to use
>> Depth Peeling technique that is integrated in 5.2 version.
>> The problem is that we can not use that technique in ATI's card. I saw in
>> the vtk code that the problem is already detected. I have also tried to
>> solve the problem modifying the vtkOpenglRenderer. I think the problem is in
>> the shader in shadow2DRect. I've tried to use other approaches such as
>> texture2DRect or texture2D with no success.
>> Do you know if it is possible to solve this problem?.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> Hi Iñigo,
>
> Have you upgraded your graphics drivers to the latest version? If you
> haven't it would be worth giving it a try.
>
> Usually, PC manufacturers are very slow to upgrade drivers*... try these
> unofficial (but kind of sanctioned) drivers for ATI cards:
> http://www.omegadrivers.net/
>
> I have an old laptop with an ATI card and depth peeling works very well with
> the omega drivers.
>
> hth
>
> Goodwin
>
> * (they'd prefer you buy new hardware...)

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive