[vtkusers] Depth Peeling VTK5.2 ATI Cars

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Fri Oct 3 09:52:03 EDT 2008

Iñigo Barandiaran wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm working on a medical application,and i'm using VTK as a
> Visualization API.We want to render some translucent objects and we are
> trying to use Depth Peeling technique that is integrated in 5.2 version.
> The problem is that we can not use that technique in ATI's card. I saw
> in the vtk code that the problem is already detected. I have also tried
> to solve the problem modifying the vtkOpenglRenderer. I think the
> problem is in the shader in shadow2DRect. I've tried to use other
> approaches such as texture2DRect or texture2D with no success.
> Do you know if it is possible to solve this problem?.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hi Iñigo,

Have you upgraded your graphics drivers to the latest version? If you
haven't it would be worth giving it a try.

Usually, PC manufacturers are very slow to upgrade drivers*... try these
unofficial (but kind of sanctioned) drivers for ATI cards:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

I have an old laptop with an ATI card and depth peeling works very well
with the omega drivers.

hth

Goodwin

* (they'd prefer you buy new hardware...)