[vtkusers] vtkConnectivityFilter

Andre Phillion andre.phillion at epfl.ch
Sun Mar 30 08:25:52 EDT 2008

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to use  vtkConnectivityFilter on a *.vtu file to extract data
based on a cell scalar value.

The scalar value ranges from 0 to 1, but I would only like those cells which
have a value greater than 0.98.

I have tried the attached code, but it doesn’t seem to do any segmentation.
All it seems to do is create an output file that is identical to the input.

Help :-)

#!/usr/bin/env python

import vtk

reader = vtk.vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader()

reader.SetFileName("./10gr-d100um-95fs-30.000000sec-CONN.vtu")

connect = vtk.vtkConnectivityFilter()

connect.SetInputConnection(reader.GetOutputPort())

connect.SetExtractionModeToAllRegions()

connect.ScalarConnectivityOn()

connect.SetScalarRange(0.98,1.0)

writer=vtk.vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter()

writer.SetDataModeToAscii()

writer.SetInputConnection(connect.GetOutputPort())

writer.SetFileName("./test.vtu")

writer.Write()

On a related note, if one has multiple scalar datasets, how does one tell
the vtkConnectivityFilter which scalar dataset will be used for the filter?

I have also enclosed a sample of the vtu file

Thanks,

André

Dr. André Phillion

Laboratoire de Simulation des Matériaux
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne

MXG-318, Station 12, CH-1015, Switzerland

Tel / Fax: +41(21)693 3942 / 5890