[vtkusers] Particles system simulation using VTK

Nicolas FEREY nicolas.ferey at ibpc.fr
Wed Mar 19 07:07:02 EDT 2008

Hi vtk users,

I'm actually trying to implement with VTK
a tool for visualizing and interacting with a particules system
simulation in
real time. The coordinates of these partcules come from an external thread,
which frequently updates in a first case the points in a polydata,
and in a second case updates the position of particle actors.

As Render() function has to be called in the vtk main thread,
I use timer event observer to call Render() and refresh rendering.

However, I'm a newbie in VTK, and the performances of
my solution are very weak, especially if I use an
actor by particule (several thousands of particles), instead
of using a polydata.

I'm particularely interested by using actor,
because the behavior of each particule is very
simple to implement using VTK.

Firstly I would like to know the best way to plug
external thread and vtk, and secondly know if somebody have already
implemented this kind of dynamic particles system using VTK.

Thank you for your help.