[vtkusers] FInding the distance around a surface

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Aug 5 09:31:32 EDT 2008

You are looking to compute the geodesics on meshes given two points on
its surface. It is non-trivial. Check out :

V. Surazhsky, T. Surazhsky, D. Kirsanov, S. Gortler, H. Hoppe. "Fast
Exact and Approximate Geodesics on Meshes", SIGGRAPH 2005.

I added a class that computes the discretized version of the same on
polygonal surfaces is in vtkDijkstraGraphGeodesicPath.cxx . This
computes the geodesic path between two points, with geodesic lying
along the edges of the mesh.

Hoppe's paper describes a  "continuous" version of Dijkstra, so that
the geodesics are not contrained to the edges of the mesh.

Should you decide to add such a class to vtk, vtkGeodesicPath would be
a could place to subclass.

HTH
--
karthik