[vtkusers] Interacting with VTK under Mac OS X

Miguel Angel Rodriguez Florido marf at ctm.ulpgc.es
Tue Mar 13 11:37:26 EDT 2007

Sean McBride wrote:
> On 3/12/07 5:10 PM, Miguel Angel Rodriguez Florido said:
>> 	For example I have run the /ImageProcessing/ImageInteractor.tcl example
>> and I cannot interact with the image,..and I got a message like "RCNE
>> SendEventToEventTarget (suom 9                ) failed, -9870". And
>> right now I have discovered that if I do "vtk" from a shell:
>> %button .test -text test
>> failed because it doesn't know "button" command, and moreover if I try
>> an example with vtkTkRenderWindow or wm command it doesn't work too :-(,
>> although I have compiled with Tcl/Tk (perhaps, this is my error, because
>> in my CMakeCache.txt I have seen that the TK_LIBRARY is pointing to
>
> Well, I've never used Tcl/Tk so I'm not sure if the problems you are
> seeing are related to bug 2025 or not, but the symptoms sure sound the
> same.  Have you tried a C++ VTK example?

Yes, I compiled the C++ example and it works, but under Tcl, and with Tk
commands don't. Extrange!.

However I found a "solution". I compiled vtk with Carbon (ON) instead
Cocoa (OFF), and I changed the "t" by "T" in the tcl/tk cmake
configuration, and finally the interactor works, and I can use TkWidgets.

Now, I have only a path problem because when I run the vtk command
outside the /vtkBin/bin folder it gives me an error like it isn't able
to load dylibs (even when I have declared the LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing
to the folder where the dylibs are). The same happens if I double-click
vtk in the finder. I think that this is resolved if I create an ".app"
for Mac.

>> /Systems/Library/Frameworks/tk.framework and the real directory is
>> Tk.framework with "T" in uppercase although ccmake chose it automatically).
>
> Interesting find!  I see the same problem on my dashboard machines.
> This is a cmake/vtk bug I guess.  I believe it would prevent things from
> working properly on case-sensitive file systems, but by default Macs are
> formatted with case-insensitive (but case-preserving) file systems.  I
> just filed bug 4572 for this.

Thanks.

--
Miguel Angel Rodriguez Florido
Center for Technology in Medicine-ULPGC-Gran Canaria-CanaryIslands,Spain