[vtkusers] Interacting with VTK under Mac OS X

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Mar 12 13:26:06 EDT 2007

On 3/12/07 5:10 PM, Miguel Angel Rodriguez Florido said:

>	Thanks for your answer, but I think that my question is simpler: How
>can I browse in a vtk application using the mouse?. In Mac I have a
>1-button-based mouse, but I can plug a 3-button usb mouse. Do I use the
>mouse like in a linux or windows machine (left button is rotation, right
>button bla bla, etc)?.

I believe on the Mac a 3 button mouse will behave the same as on other
platforms.  The standard vtk interactors seem to expect you to have such
a mouse.

>	For example I have run the /ImageProcessing/ImageInteractor.tcl example
>and I cannot interact with the image,..and I got a message like "RCNE
>SendEventToEventTarget (suom 9                ) failed, -9870". And
>right now I have discovered that if I do "vtk" from a shell:
>%button .test -text test
>failed because it doesn't know "button" command, and moreover if I try
>an example with vtkTkRenderWindow or wm command it doesn't work too :-(,
>although I have compiled with Tcl/Tk (perhaps, this is my error, because
>in my CMakeCache.txt I have seen that the TK_LIBRARY is pointing to

Well, I've never used Tcl/Tk so I'm not sure if the problems you are
seeing are related to bug 2025 or not, but the symptoms sure sound the
same.  Have you tried a C++ VTK example?

>/Systems/Library/Frameworks/tk.framework and the real directory is
>Tk.framework with "T" in uppercase although ccmake chose it automatically).

Interesting find!  I see the same problem on my dashboard machines.
This is a cmake/vtk bug I guess.  I believe it would prevent things from
working properly on case-sensitive file systems, but by default Macs are
formatted with case-insensitive (but case-preserving) file systems.  I
just filed bug 4572 for this.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com