[vtkusers] problems installing shared libraries on OSX

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Jun 28 08:38:27 EDT 2007

On 6/27/07, Garry Willgoose <Garry.Willgoose at newcastle.edu.au> wrote:

> Linking CXX executable ../../../bin/GraphicsCxxTests
> [ 99%] Built target GraphicsCxxTests
> [ 99%] Converting Tcl test
> Converting /Users/garrywillgoose/VTK-5/Graphics/Testing/Tcl/
> capSphere.tcl
> Conversion failed!
> make[2]: *** [Graphics/Testing/Python/conversion_complete] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [Graphics/Testing/Python/CMakeFiles/
> GraphicsPythonTests.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

This "Converting Tcl test" is a python script that runs to convert the tcl
tests in the VTK source tree into python tests in the build tree to run for
your python-wrapped build. Why it fails, I don't know. Perhaps it is fixed
in CVS VTK because we have several Macs running dashboards with python
wrapping that do demonstrate that it works with CVS VTK...

CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
> /Users/garrywillgoose/VTK-5/Utilities/TclTk/internals/CMakeLists.txt:2:
> Unknown CMake command "VTK_GET_TCL_TK_VERSION".

Wrapping with python involves Tcl/Tk because of the ability to use Tk from
python... You may want to try setting VTK_USE_TK to OFF if you are not using
Tk from python...

Personally, I think the CVS version of VTK is better for use from a Mac.
There was some unexplored territory on the Mac when the VTK-5-0 branch was
created...

:-)
HTH,
David