[vtkusers] problems installing shared libraries on OSX (fixed)

Garry Willgoose Garry.Willgoose at newcastle.edu.au
Thu Jun 28 21:24:03 EDT 2007

  Mike, David Sean,

Your advice seems to have fixed this. My summary is as below.

> Next, VTK depends on a very specific version of Tcl/Tk, which it
> builds. If you have your own version getting in the way, then you
> need to move that aside.

I have my own install of 8.4.13 and pointing to this instead seems to
be OK so far. I guess we'll see if any code crashes but at least it
built OK.

> Next, try turning OFF Testing, then rebuilding.

This seems to be important.

> Wrapping with python involves Tcl/Tk because of the ability to use
> Tk from python... You may want to try setting VTK_USE_TK to OFF if
> you are not using Tk from python...

I am using Tk so this is not an option but seems not to have been
important.

I have ActiveState Python 2.5 installed as my default alongside the
standard Mac version 2.3. I changed the make so it pointed to 2.5.

Thanks for your help

Prof Garry Willgoose,
Australian Professorial Fellow in Environmental Engineering,
School of Engineering, The University of Newcastle,
Callaghan, 2308
Australia.

Telluric Research, 100 Barton Street,
Scone, 2337
Australia.
ABN 13 132 312 352

Phone: (International) +61 2 4921 6050 (Tues-Thurs); +61 2 6545 9574
(Fri-Mon)
FAX: (International) +61 2 4921 6991 (Uni); +61 2 6545 9574 (personal
and Telluric)
Env. Engg. Secretary: (International) +61 2 4921 6042
WWW  :  www.telluricresearch.com

email:  g.willgoose at telluricresearch.com;
garry.willgoose at newcastle.edu.au
email-for-life: garry.willgoose at alum.mit.edu
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail"
                           Ralph Waldo Emerson