[vtkusers] problems installing shared libraries on OSX

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Jun 28 09:32:02 EDT 2007

On 6/28/07 10:46 AM, Garry Willgoose said:

>I'm trying to make the shared libraries for use with Python on OSX
>10.4.10 with Xcode 2.3. The cmake window is

I second the motion for you to upgrade to Xcode 2.4.1, especially if you
are on an Intel Mac.

>CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES          i386

Note that if you specify only one item in CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES it is
ignored, and will in fact build for whatever architecture your building-
machine is.  Bug 3618.  If you are on Intel anyway, this isn't a big problem.

>Linking CXX executable ../../../bin/GraphicsCxxTests
>[ 99%] Built target GraphicsCxxTests
>[ 99%] Converting Tcl test
>Converting /Users/garrywillgoose/VTK-5/Graphics/Testing/Tcl/
>capSphere.tcl
>Conversion failed!
>make[2]: *** [Graphics/Testing/Python/conversion_complete] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [Graphics/Testing/Python/CMakeFiles/
>GraphicsPythonTests.dir/all] Error 2
>make: *** [all] Error 2

Maybe try a verbose make?

>CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
>/Users/garrywillgoose/VTK-5/Utilities/TclTk/internals/CMakeLists.txt:2:
>Unknown CMake command "VTK_GET_TCL_TK_VERSION".

FWIW, I have several machines here that build VTK CVS with 10.4.10,
Xcode 2.4.1, PPC and Intel, with and without Python and Tcl.  I use the
Python and Tcl that come with the OS.

By any chance, is your hard disk formatted as case-sensitive?  If so,
you may be seeing Bug 4572.

Which version of CMake are you using?

Lastly, I also feel that CVS is better than 5.0.3, on the Mac anyway.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com