[vtkusers] Compiling vtk on an nvidia card

Jonathan Bailleul mailing at vectraproject.com
Wed Jun 27 20:25:48 EDT 2007

Luca Pamparana a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just installed an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS card on my machine. However,
> I do not see any performance increase in vtk on the linux system.
> However, the windows version of my program runs so much faster! I am
> wondering if it is the OpenGL libraries that I am linking to.
>
> Does anyone have experience regarding this? I installed the nvidia-glx
> and the nvidia-dev packages but wonder which openGL libraries do I have
> to link to.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> Luca

It is almost always mandatory to go to nvidia's website and download the
latest drivers for linux. The installation will certainly require that
kernel sources are present on your system (just install the package),
but it will be completely automatic besides that, including xorg.conf
modifications.

Then, when you will run X (to log in), a Nvidia splash screen will
appear, indicating that proprietary drivers are in use (is it the case
already?). Most generic drivers are just very very lame and do not seem
to be optimized at all.