[vtkusers] Compiling vtk on an nvidia card

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu Jun 14 14:18:36 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 07:53 -0400, Kent Eschenberg wrote:
> Luca,
>
> I've had similar problems. Most Linux systems are delivered with Mesa which
> simulates OGL and your graphics card in software. You must make sure that the
> installation of the Nvidia driver replaced the Mesa files. There are several
> situations to check.

The packages from Nvidia and ATI are broken. The system files from Mesa
should not be replaced. This causes all sorts of trouble. The files
should be installed alongside the system packages. For Fedora at least
rpm.livna.org provides repackaged drivers for both ATI and nvidia that
do not conflict with the system libraries.  xorg-x11-drv-fglrx places
library files in /usr/lib64/fglrx and xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-devel has
renamed headers glATI.h and glxATI.h in /usr/include/GL/. You can point
CMake to these files instead of the system packages

I have a ParaView built against the ATI drivers.

[kevin at gargon ~]$ ldd ~/kitware/ParaView_fglrx_Build/bin/paraview |
grep /usr/lib64/fglrx
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib64/fglrx/libGL.so.1 (0x000000396b600000)

Kent's advice about using ldd and LD_LIBRARY_PATH will be very useful.
You may want to set your environment variables CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH and
CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH to help CMake find the correct drivers. you may also
want to look at ld.so.conf and ld.so.conf.d/ these do the same thing as
CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH but system wide. If you build VTK with rpaths you
don't have to worry about runtime paths but you can't inatall VTK system
wide.

> 3) Update Time
>
> We've seen the update process replace the Nvidia files with the original Mesa
> files. Check after each update to see what happens on your system.

I hear this is just the tip of the iceberg.