[vtkusers] ICP algorithm question

Godofredo godofredoiii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 07:51:35 EDT 2007

Hi. I'm making some tries with ICP algorithm but I can't just figure out it's
implementation. Here I show you some images generated with my code. In blue
is the target surface, in green are the source points which I want to match
with the surface and in red are the source points transformed with the
output of the ICP algorithm. As ou can seee, I've also marked the points
which best fit beetween two datasets but the ICP algorithm seems to ignore
the amount of points to fit.

And this are the parameters I use in my code:

        icp->StartByMatchingCentroidsOff();//I use this because I need the
code for another applications and I       //don't actually want the
centroids used as source
	icp->SetMaximumNumberOfIterations(20);
	icp->SetCheckMeanDistance(true);
	icp->GetLandmarkTransform()->SetModeToRigidBody();

So this are my questions:How does ICP actually work? why doesn't it fit
according to the spatialy more closest points beetween the two surfaces?
Which parameters should I modify and how?
Thanks in advance.
http://www.nabble.com/file/p11118686/icp.jpg