[vtkusers] Compiling vtk on an nvidia card

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Thu Jun 14 07:53:09 EDT 2007

Luca,

I've had similar problems. Most Linux systems are delivered with Mesa which
simulates OGL and your graphics card in software. You must make sure that the
installation of the Nvidia driver replaced the Mesa files. There are several
situations to check.

1) Compile Time

Run ccmake and find the references to OGL-related files. Then go look at those
files to make sure they are the ones for the Nvidia card. These are probably in
/usr/lib and /usr/include (perhaps in subdirectory GL).

2) Run Time

Run "ldd paraview", see which shared objects it plans to use, look at the
GL-related files, and make sure they are for Nvidia not Mesa. If needed change
the files or add the paths to the correct files to your environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

3) Update Time

We've seen the update process replace the Nvidia files with the original Mesa
files. Check after each update to see what happens on your system.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center