[vtkusers] Guidelines Required

Obada Mahdi omahdi at gmx.de
Fri Jul 20 09:21:03 EDT 2007

Hi Asim!

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, asim verma wrote:
> Before purchasing the book I just wanted to run the application. I have
> downloaded vtk-5.0.3-win32.exe and installed the application on my machine.
> When I run the application a command prompt and a window appears with no
> controls. Can any body suggest me how to run the application?

There seems to be some misunderstanding -- VTK is not an application per se,
it is a set of C++ libraries that provides a high-level API (at a higher level
than OpenGL, that is) for visualization programming.

What you have downloaded is a version of a Tcl command interpreter that has
VTK (and appropriate Tcl bindings) linked in; you can use it as is for running
Tcl scripts that use VTK (like some of the VTK example scripts, for instance).
There are, to my knowledge, no "official" binary versions of the VTK libraries
available for download, meaning that the libraries have to be built from
source.

If you are looking for a visualization application that is built on top of
VTK, you might want to try ParaView, available at

http://www.paraview.org/New/download.html

although that might be a bit technical if you just want to "see stuff" :)

Regards

Obada