[vtkusers] Which picker to use ???

Meisam Aliroteh meisam.aliroteh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 09:52:25 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm in a scenario that I'm not sure exactly which one of the picker classes
of vtk would be best suitable for my need. I have a renderer with 3 actors
as follows:

actor 1: the poly data of this actor contains point cells, i.e the cells of
this poly data were inserted using InsertNextCell(VTK_POINT,.....)

actor 2: the poly data of this actor contains line cells, i.e the cells of
this poly data were inserted using InsertNextCell(VTK_LINE,.....)

 actor 3: the poly data of this actor contains triangle cells (I've created
a vtkCellArray filled with triangle data and used the SetPolys() method of
the poly data to pass in the faces)

The user can make any of these actors visible or invisible (and the user may
also wish to leave them all visible). When the user clicks anywhere on the
screen I would like to do the picking and see whether the user picked a
point, and edge, or a face. I'm not sure if I should use vtkCellPicker
or vtkPointPicker or some thing else.

Does anyone know whether there is a picker class that can handle all three
types of cells mentioned above that could make my life a bit easier?