[vtkusers] Anyone using wxVTK wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor wxWidgets VTK class?

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 05:04:28 EDT 2007

On 8/20/07, H. Johnson <misc at faradayco.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a solution to build a VTK enabled GUI.  I'm pursuing a
> few different options, one of which is a VTK / wxWidgets combination.
>
> I built VTK from CVS last Saturday, and am using wxWidgets 2.6.4. in a
> VC6.0 C++ only (no Tcl) environment.
>
> Sample wxVTK file wxImagePlaneWidget compiles okay, and works for the
> most part,

Please describe what is not working. Please include your version of wxVTK.

> however whenever I click outside the box a vtkOutputWindow pops up and I
> get a
> vtkInteractorStyleJoystickCamera (0x0390AF88): Timer start fail
> message.

Yup, you are using VTK 5.x alright. Take any example using the Tcl RWI
(on UNIX) from VTK official, you'll be able to reproduce that.
I think VTK 5.0 should not produce this warning.

> So, two questions.  Does anyone know what the specific "Timer start
> fail" message is all about?

When the API was upgraded, a bug was introduced. But I suspect no one
saw it, as most people use another interactor style. Try the trackball
one (press 't').

> And more importantly, is the wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor as it is found
> at http://wxvtk.sourceforge.net/ a ROBUST solution to combining the two?

Absolutely not ! Trust me, and I know the main author of wxVTK (but
don't tell him that).

Ok seriously, I don't mean to be offended here, but at least describe
your issues here. It is not perfect (wxVTK does not work with latest
wxwidget 2.8.x) but I did work hard to get it working in the wx 2.4.x
branch. 2.6.x should be ok on linux/win32.
As a side note you could have gotten a tons more answers on the wxVTK
mailing list, where you'll find the most heavy users of this class:

http://wxvtk.sf.net/
[scroll to the bottom of the page]

-Mathieu

> Thanks much,