[vtkusers] How do I move multiple actors on the same window?

Wes Turner wes.turner at kitware.com
Fri Oct 20 09:11:51 EDT 2006

Taro,

The default interaction mode for VTK is to move the camera not the actors,
which makes it appear that all the actors move simultaneously.  To actually
interact with the actors, I believe you need to hit the 'a' key (I also
believe returning to camera interaction requires that you hit the 'c' key).

- Wes

On 10/20/06, Taro Trabish <tarotrabish at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please forgive me if my questions are very basic.  I just started using
> VTK for my project and I was able to get multiple actors to show up in a
> single window. I'm using the .NET wrappers of VTK and programming in C#.
>
> I want to be able to have multiple actors in the same window and be able
> to use the mouse to drag them individually around, sometimes such that they
> overlap/intersect each other.
>
> Right now, all my actors move at the same time.
>
> I've tried the ren.SetViewport( ) method but that gives each actor a
> "space" in the main window.  I want all actors to share the entire view so
> that I can move actors around and have them touch each other if I want.
>
> I also don't want to disturb the scale of the actors.  E.g. if I use the
> right button to zoom in, I want all actors to zoom together and not just the
> selected one but "move" and "rotate" should be independent for each actor.
>
> I would be very grateful if somebody can help me or point me to some
> example code that has something similar.
>
> I'm very confused if I should have a renderer/interactor for each actor
> and how I should manage them in the render window.
>
> Thanks
> Taro

Wesley D. Turner, Ph.D.
R&D Engineer