[vtkusers] Re: Starting vtk.exe with a link on Windows

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Tue Jun 27 11:55:15 EDT 2006

Roger Blum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I start vtk.exe (version 5.0) with a tcl script from a Windows link I get
> a blank (black) console like window that stays open where the output from
> Tcl is written to (e.g puts "Some info") . I don't get this window if I
> start wish.exe with the same tcl script.
>
> The reason why I don't just use wish.exe is, that the binary distribution of
> vtk doesn't contain the dynamic libraries. So I cannot use load vtk with
>
> package require vtk
>
> Who can explain the different behavior of wish.exe and vtk.exe. How can I
> hide this unwanted/unneeded window?
> Do I have to build vtk myself to have the dynamic libraries or can I
> download somewhere?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Roger

Hi Roger,

wish is an win32 app with a tk console. wish has an extra command
"console show"... add it to the top of your tcl script and wish will
behave as vtk.exe does.

The sort of thing you're looking for is here:
http://www.bioengineering-research.com/vtk/vtkit.htm

Its a single file executable, called VTKit, that runs vtk tcl scripts
(with a wish console that can be hidden- "console hide")

I have a version based on TclTk 8.4.13 and VTK5.0 that I'll upload (to
the page above) when I've tested it out.

hth

Goodwin