[vtkusers] Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition, missing MSVCR80.DLL

Kalle Pahajoki kalpaha at st.jyu.fi
Fri Jun 2 05:44:49 EDT 2006

Hi

I successfully built VTK with the free MS VC++ Express Edition. But when
I launched python and did an "import vtk" I got an error message saying
"This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I am by no means experienced in developing on Windows, but some googling
revealed that you need some kind of a manifest file to get the libraries
linked properly. And
sure enough, the VTK/bin directory had a bunch of manifests. So I tried
using the vtkpython.exe and got no errors.

So far so good, but the problems resurfaced when I tried to package my
software with py2exe. After a while I get an error saying:
error: MSVCR80.dll: No such file or directory.

Has anyone got any insight on how to go about fixing this? Should I go
ask the py2exe developers? Any pointers or hints are much appreciated!

Kalle

definition not smart enough to debug it.        -- Brian W. Kerninghan