[vtkusers] Does having a graphics card help?

fred fredantispam at free.fr
Wed Jul 26 02:27:09 EDT 2006

Michael Rice a écrit :
> Agreed.
>
> Beware of ATI cards if you're running Linux. We've seen some ATI  cards
> that cause VTK apps to crash when using the ATI graphics  driver. We
> have not had any problems with nVidia.
I confirm too.

By the past, I had have 2 ATI (old, yes ;-) GPU, 9250 & 9800 Pro ; they
had problem
rendering some surfaces with OpenGl.

For nvidia, you have 2 kinds of GPU : for professionnal & OpenGl (Quadro
Fx) and... for gamers
(GeForce  6xx & 7xx) & DirectX.  GeForce are cheaper than Quadro Fx, of
course.

But the GeForce GPU work very fine with OpenGl under Linux too.

ATI & nvidia GPU can work with 2 cards on your mobo (CrossFire for ATI
and SLI for nvidia).
(I have not yet benched my SLI GPU with VTK).

HTH.

--
Fred.