[vtkusers] vtk build for 10.3 and 10.4

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jan 25 10:19:33 EST 2006

On 2006-01-24 16:17, Gavin W. Burris aka 86 said:

>My goal is to build VTK with Tcl wrappings that will run on 10.3.9 or
>better.
>
>I was able to build on Mac OS X 10.4.2 + Xcode 2.2 with the CVS version
>of VTK.  I added "-DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED=1039" to
>CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS and CMAKE_C_FLAGS.  This builds a version that will run

I don't believe that is a valid value for that define.  See
AvailabilityMacros.h.  You should use 1030.  Although I don't believe
that would cause your problem...

>fine on OS X 10.3.9, but not on 10.4.2.  When running the Medical1.tcl
>example on 10.4.2, the Carbon window will appear, but just spin/wait
>with no graphics ever appearing.
>
>Do I have to also define "-DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=????"?
>Shouldn't just setting the minimum version also support newer versions?

Actually it's kinda the other way around.  The explanation is rather
long winded... have your read the technote and header I mentioned last
time?  Basically, if you set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET then
MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED is automatically set.
MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_REQUIRED you should set yourself.  It will control
what is weak linked.

Do you have the same version of tcl on both your 10.3 and 10.4 drives?
Does said tcl version support both versions of the OS?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com