[vtkusers] Extending VTK for GPU accelerated 3D texture-mapping based volume rendering

Piyush Rai raightsaid at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 05:58:59 EST 2006

Hi,

I am new to VTK. I wish to add a module having GPU supported 3D
texture-mapped volume rendering (using our custom volume rendering library)
in Slicer, an open source tool, which uses VTK as its visualization
back-end. Going through the documentation for VTK, I found that VTK provides
abstract classes for volume rendering which can be extended to one's needs.
I want to extend VTK to use our own GPU based volume rendering library.

I would like to know as to what are the steps I need to follow in order to
extend VTK classes for using the library I am using for volume rendering?
Please let me know all the steps in the pipeline (like loading the volume,
converting the volume in VTK format, rendering etc).

Thanks in anticipation.
--Piyush.