[vtkusers] 64 bit compile for 64 bit XEON processor

Jeremy Drysdale jeremy.drysdale at philips.com
Mon Feb 20 15:56:14 EST 2006

Hi Kevin and all,

One thing I forgot to mention, this system is running Windows 64-bit,
sadly... not Linux.

I will rephrase my previous post, with my apologies...
If anyone has done, or has any thoughts on a 64-bit compile of VTK for a
Win64 dual 64-bit XEON processor system, I'd love to hear them :)

Thanks in advance.
Jeremy Drysdale

"Kevin H. Hobbs" <kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu>
Please respond to
hobbsk at ohiou.edu

Jeremy Drysdale/BRQ/RESEARCH/PHILIPS at PHILIPS
cc

Subject
Re: [vtkusers] 64 bit compile for 64 bit XEON processor
Classification

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 09:02 -0500, Jeremy Drysdale wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to VTK, but I would like to use it with extremely large data
> sets (over 2 GB).  To work with this data, we are using an Intel based
> 64 bit duel XEON 3.6 GHz processor workstation.  Is there a
> compilation of VTK available to work on this chipset?  I have not been
> able to find one for this hardware.  Is this because it doesn't exist
> yet?  I'm a bit wary about "wasting" a lot of manhours attempting a
> 64-bit compile at this stage of the game.  If anyone has any thoughts
> or experience on this, please by all means let me know.  Or if anyone
> can tell me for sure that this doesn't work, that would be helpful as
> well ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeremy

It really isn't all that hard to compile from source... at least in
linux.  I found setting the environment varaible
CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64:/usr/X11R6/lib64 made a huge difference
There's at least one ia64 build in the dartboard. You should check that
out.

I've found that building outside of the source and installing to non
system directories like /opt/vtk-cvs-2006-02-20-debug-64BitIds makes a
huge difference ... if you run into trouble you just blow away the build
and install directory.

[attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Jeremy
Drysdale/BRQ/RESEARCH/PHILIPS]