[vtkusers] Universal Binary of vtk on Mac OS X... initial investigations...

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Feb 16 12:20:13 EST 2006

On 2006-02-16 11:59, David Cole said:

>The quickest possible way to get Universal Binaries of a VTK-based
>project is going to be building the Intel binaries on an Intel Mac,
>building the PPC binaries on a PPC Mac and then combining them somehow.

Agreed.  And Apple provides a command line tool, 'lipo' to merge things
together as you describe.

>My gut feel is that there are too many settings that *may* vary between
>the architectures that any cross-compiling attempt will simply yield
>unpredictable results... It's *probably* possible, but it's also likely
>to be very time consuming and a bit painful.

Agreed.  Which is why I'm starting this discussion sooner than
later. :)  Is it something kitware wants to eventually support?  From my
point of view, being able to build vtk as universal is far far more
appealing that having to have 2 machines and lipo-ing together.  Have
others in the past not wanted to cross compile vtk?  Is this the first
time it's come up?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com