[vtkusers] Universal Binary of vtk on Mac OS X... initial investigations...

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Feb 16 11:59:57 EST 2006

The quickest possible way to get Universal Binaries of a VTK-based
project is going to be building the Intel binaries on an Intel Mac,
building the PPC binaries on a PPC Mac and then combining them somehow.

My gut feel is that there are too many settings that *may* vary between
the architectures that any cross-compiling attempt will simply yield
unpredictable results... It's *probably* possible, but it's also likely
to be very time consuming and a bit painful.

Sean McBride wrote:

>That's exactly the assumption I'm worried about.  Would you say it is
>widely assumed by cmake users?

If it's not widely assumed by CMake users... it certainly should be.
 From p. 77 of v 2.0 of the CMake book: "At the writing of this book,
CMake does not explicitly support cross compiling. However, it can be
done by careful configuration of cache values."

I would try separate builds on separate machines and see if there's a
way to combine those build results into a universal binary... (True for
any project using CMake where your explicit knowledge of the various
CMake cache values produced is limited...)

Hope this helps,
David