[vtkusers] volume rendering performance

Mark Wyszomierski markww at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:11:50 EST 2006

That's really interesting, for me the ProjectedTetra was so time consuming I
ended up rendering only one slice of my volume so I could at least see some
output. I do have many variations in opacity, my dataset is of a chest (I
don't have much 'dead' space around the organs), so it sounds like this may
really be a bad use of ProjectedTetra.

All my output is interactive, fixed point/3d texture have been pretty decent
when it comes to responsiveness, except if the camera moves too close to the
volume. The ray cast mapper looks the 'nicest' but it really takes too long
to be used interactively for me. I was hoping that the responsiveness of
ProjectedTetra would be good once ready for display, but it actually had the
worst interactivity out of the bunch, even with one slice. Besides the
opacity issue, I believe the ray cast mapper etc have built in functions to
reduce the quality of the rendering while the user is interacting, which is
very nice.

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Mark