[vtkusers] volume rendering performance

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 13:28:40 EST 2006

The last dataset I used was a 512-cube, stored as a vtkImageData I believe.
One thing that greatly effects rendering time is the level of opacity you
have.  in my case, I had large regions of the space that were going to be
completely transparent (accumulated opacity = 0.0), with only a small
fireball in the center to render.  If I adjusted my transfer function so
that larger regions were rendered, then the render time increased.

Using a fixed transfer function that rendered only the small portion of the
dataset I wanted to see, the FixedPoint mapper was abysmal at about 30
minutes per frame, and the ProjectedTetra mapper works in about 6 minutes
(with the DataSetTriangleFilter time included).  All of my stuff is
non-interactive, being dumped directly to PNG images on disk.